17.3.14

200 N St, Salt Lake City

People are dying today. I'm dressed up because there's a mother saying goodbye right now. There's a daughter saying goodbye right now. There's a best friend saying goodbye right now.

People are crying goodbye right now. 

Ropes are collapsing right now. Pills are suffocating lives right now. IV's are running low, right now.

Eyes are covering the earth while they trace the tiles they never want to remember. Rubik's cubes are spinning in endless combinations but the sides just don't match up and it might be too late if they take another wrong spin.

I hope you never watch the white walls and blink back tears because too many triggers happen in the school hallways on his birthday. We're told to celebrate the lives they lived cause they did nothing but give.
and give and give and give and look where God put them. Under the ground to sit with their calcium and the worms they ran away from on rainy days

I wonder what the light feels like, when it's more than the edge of the door letting it through. I wonder, but I hope I never find out.


Hands are holding goodbye right now. They're lacing their fingers back and forth, back and forth, hoping they can catch death on it's way out. Hoping they can convince him he's mixed up the years, he's wrong about the time, there's still sand dropping in the clock.

Do you think death feels the pain in his chest? Like sharp lungs running on icy days. Maybe he cares about each individual drop of memories we let fall from our eyes because that's all sorrow is anyway: memories that can't be made new. Maybe he feels indifferent but I like to believe it's hard on him to watch small eyes and small hands wonder why uncle is giving them extra piggy backs and mommy won't read them a bedtime story.

Lives are living goodbye right now. and then, they're not.


6 comments:

  1. The way you described tears... like they're memories. That was great. This whole thing was just great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I like to believe it's hard on him to watch small eyes and small hands wonder why uncle is giving them extra piggy backs and mommy won't read them a bedtime story."
    This line made me want to cry, as did the rest of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I wonder what the light feels like, when it's more than the edge of the door letting it through. I wonder, but I hope I never find out." I loved the whole thing. Great realization for everyone I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Rubik's cubes are spinning in endless combinations but the sides just don't match up and it might be too late if they take another wrong spin." I loved the whole post. I loved how to portrayed the whole thing as memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was addicting to read. I keep trying to pick a favorite paragraph, but screw it. I liked all of them. Your words paint pictures in my head while I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete