7.3.14

"maybe like 35-40 min!"

We could dance around this tabletop all night but you're afraid of the inevitable and I'm afraid of the words your eyes forget to say. There's a life outside this school hallway but I've forgotten it for the moment because you look so. damn. good today. I'm tracing your footsteps with my senses but I don't think I'll ever capture on film the gloss in your wake.

It makes me wish everyone were around to experience the first night I had you alone. You sang without a care, at the piano you've never known how to play. The laughter covered the lyrics in the sweetest disguise and I've been searching for your song hoping I'm only deaf in denial.
That. red. shirt. Can you even see my knees shaking? Is that a mere illusion my brain has punished me with because I still don't know how to ask you to come to the game?


I'm crossing the border and you're anxiously telling me all the things I'll need to know to get me through the week but I'll be back in ten minutes because you get me through the week.

and my mother will tell me I'm spending too much time on an electronic device but she's wrong. Because it's not the screen I'm attached to it's the other end. It's the voice that comes through this miracle technology has given me. I think when we were angels in heaven I begged to live when I would never have to go long without seeing you. And God clearly listened because he knew you were too good to be under appreciated.

I'm afraid I've crossed the border for too long and you've fallen asleep at the wheel. I'm afraid the miracle in my hand is only good for when you agree there's too much distance. I'm afraid there's a fork in the road and we took it separate days. I'm afraid two roads diverged and they won't cross again soon.

You left the hallway a glorified memory, I'm afraid that's all you'll ever do for me.


6 comments:

  1. This is so real. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first sentence. Your mother being wrong. Falling asleep at the wheel.
    Too much right with this post. I love the way you string together your sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so real and the details and "you were too good to be under appreciated." and it is so sad and it breaks my heart but I've read it more than twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So poetic. The way that you come up with words is amazing. I'm actually jealous that I can't write like you. Swell job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm envious of the person you write about. I think it would be nice to have someone write things like this about me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're writing is breath taking. The way you arrange each word and phrase is something I wish I could do. You're easily one of the best if not the best writers I've read. I'm in love with your work.

    ReplyDelete