27.3.14

"then either a 100 or 300"

You put your hands around me and I thought we could make it.

The stars and the moon and my bones and the little boy sitting third row at his first baseball game, 
they thought we could make it.

You cupped my face in your hands and I wanted to make it.


I'm standing at the finish line to a relay I ran alone. The refs are trying to explain I didn't win and I didn't follow the rules but I can't understand them because the broken glass coming out just sounds like a doorbell ringing through an empty house, or a kickball going left, going out of bounds. 

I didn't mean to end up sprinting solo. Never in those late practice chats did I think about a far off finish, or how hard that might be on you.


I thought that we could make it. 




5 comments:

  1. For some reason I feel compelled to sing "Where'd You Go" by Fort Minor. You're incredible. Never leave again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "because the broken glass coming out just sounds like a doorbell ringing through an empty house, or a kickball going left, going out of bounds" Amazing, your way with words. I agree with Alis 1000%. Please never leave again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The stars and the moon and my bones and the little boy sitting third row at his first baseball game,
    they thought we could make it." awesome line. Ya don't ever leave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I didn't mean to end up sprinting solo. Never in those late practice chats did I think about a far off finish, or how hard that might be on you." amazing. Your writing is just awesome. Don't leave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so not happy with you.
    i don't even know you.
    but i missed you. so. much.
    stay this time (please)

    i look forward to your posts every single week, more than anybody else.

    ReplyDelete